Planning a Family Fishing Vacation in the Midwest
It is sometimes said that success in fishing is the result of equal parts patience and luck. Fishing is a budget friendly activity that is fun for the whole family. The thrill of the catch will captivate experienced anglers and enthusiastic beginners alike. With so many opportunities for fishing, ranging from quiet stocked fishing ponds to the rugged rivers and streams of the Ozark terrain, the Midwest will give you and your family the opportunity to get up close and personal with the local wildlife. This guide will explore resources to help you plan a family friendly fishing vacation in the Midwest.
How to Fish
- Know the Law - This provides links to information about fishing license regulations in Missouri.
- Get a License - The Missouri Department of Conservation issues fishing permits online.
- Choose Your Bait - A detailed guide to selecting the right lure for species of fish found in the Great Lakes of the Midwest.
- The Right Type of Fly - The Ozark Fly Fishers offer a helpful guide to 'The Twenty-five Best Flies for Missouri Parks and Streams.'
- Tie Your Own Flies - This Missouri trout fishing club includes an extensive collection of videos on how to tie your own flies.
- The Lure of Missouri Noodling — This type of fishing is a popular method but brushing up on laws is necessary before venturing out.
- 'Sucker Gigging' - This University of Missouri Extension Service article describes the Ozark tradition of fishing for catfish at night.
- 'Old Thyme Gigging' - This Rural Missouri article discusses the Ozark tradition of 'gigging'.
- Boating Safety - The Illinios Department of Natural Resources gives tips for safe and responsible boating.
- First Aid - The Missouri Trout Fisherman includes a link to first aid information for fisherman.
- Wear A Life Jacket - The Missouri State Highway Patrol explains why you should always wear a life jacket when enjoying activities near the water.
- Fishing Safety — Fishing is fun but requires certain safety measures be taken in order to keep all parties involved safe during the activity.
- Safely Removing Fishing Hooks — Learn about how to remove fishing hooks from the fish you catch.
- S.A.F.E. Angling — Discover how to fish and keep fish and ecosystems safe. Information on this is found here.
- Safe Fishing Precautions — Discover how individuals of many ages can stay safe when fishing on this resource.
- Learning How To Fish — The resource provided here instructs individuals on methods they can take to safely learn to fish.
Types of Fish
- Black Crappie - A kid friendly article about the black crappie.
- Walleye - This brief summary includes quick facts about the walleye and its habitat.
- White Bass - This gives detailed information about the white bass and other fish species found throughout the Midwest.
- Catfish - This helpful fact sheet about Missouri's catfish includes information about how to measure a catfish to determine whether or not it is legal to keep.
- Ozark Fish - A pictorial guide to the fish of the Ozarks.
- Missouri Mussels - A guide to Missouri's freshwater mussels.
Other Informative Sites about Fishing in the Midwest
- The History of the Missouri Ozarks - This detailed article includes information about the role that hunting and fishing played in early Ozark mountain culture.
- Fishing in Native Midwestern Culture - This article discusses how the native people of the Midwest caught fish.
- The History of Trout Fishing in Missouri - This article includes information about the introduction of trout to Missouri in the 1800's.
- The Missouri Trout Parks - This information includes links and information about fishing in Missouri's trout parks.
- Montauk Map - A detailed map of Montauk State Park in Missouri including the locations of dedicated fishing areas.
- Montauk State Park - Official for Montauk State Park includes information about park hours and activities.
- USGS Water Data for Montauk State Park - The USGS Water Data System allows users to search for real-time water conditions at a variety of state and national parks.
- Roaring River State Park - One of Missouri's many designated trout parks.
- Mark Twain Lake - Provides a regular calendar of events scheduled at this popular Missouri destination.
- Midwest Fisheries - The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's guide to fisheries in the Midwest.
- Ozark National Scenic Riverways - A detailed map of the Ozark's scenic river ways.
- Privately Owned Fishing Areas - A comprehensive guide to Missouri's privately owned fishing areas that welcome public fishing.
- Wilmore Park - Information about the City of St. Louis' Wilmore Park including the park's fish stocking schedule.
- Discover Fishing - The Conservation Federation of Missouri offers information about free fishing events in Missouri.
- Great Lakes Weather - The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is for the greater Great Lakes region.
- Missouri Stock Ponds - The Mid-America Hunting Association provides information about fishing in Missouri's stock ponds.